Vesak is one of the most important day to Buddhist all around the world. It is a day to commemorate Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and Parinibbana. It is also a time to reflect on his teachings and what it means to be Buddhist.
One of the ways of paying our utmost respect and gratitude to the Buddha is the offering of fresh flowers.
During Koṇāgamana Buddha’s time, a poor man saw the generous food offering by the rich to the monastic community. He chose to pick a variety of flowers with a pure and sincere heart and offered them to the Triple Gem. As he did the offering with respect and sincerity, he was reborn in a rich family during the Gotama Buddha’s time and soon attained Arahantship after receiving ordination by the Lord Buddha as a Buddhist monk.
When we offer flowers to the Buddha with a pure mind, we will reap these benefits:
1. Born with elegant features
2. Clean and pure body and mind
3. Respectful towards the Triple Gem
4. Reborn in the fortunate realms with the opportunity to listen to Buddhist teachings in every single lifetime
5. Be a well-respected and endearing person
6. Abundant with beautiful possessions and wealth
7. Attain Nirvana easily and quickly