During Vesak, we bath the Buddha to commemorate the Buddha’s birth and express our gratitude to the Buddha. While doing so, we remind ourselves of the need to practice according to the Buddha’s teachings, purify our mind, rid ourselves of our inner defilements, let go of our ego, be at ease in body and mind and find our true Buddha nature.
The bathing of Buddha is a beautiful Buddhist tradition. The Buddha has three virtues, Purity, Wisdom, and Compassion. When we bath the Buddha statue with respect, we are reminded of the Buddha’s purity and receive joy and peace of mind in return.
Merits of Bathing the Buddha
• Relaxed body and mind
• Enjoy peace of mind
• Be successful in one’s career and enjoy great wealth
• Smooth sailing in one’s undertakings
• Surrounded by the wise and kalyanamittas
• Enjoy good health, free from illnesses and dangers
• Enjoy family unity and joy
• Enjoy happiness in life
• Born in a Buddhist family
• Rebirth in a noble family, be well-respected and have filial children
• Attain Nibbana easily
With the merit of Bathing the Buddha, we sincerely wish for everyone’s good wishes to be fulfilled, every family to be safe and protected, everyone to be blessed and wise!